4.Discussion

Our final results that our prototype actually worked.But during the phase of making the prototype we faced many problems such as where the step will activate the sound. We also had problems such as how to build the actual staircase but with Mr Tan Hoe Teck's , we were able to make a miniature version of a wooden staircase.
So one of the main problems were that we could not get the actual step to work so we tried different methods such as :

1)Make the Speaker play a tone when the circuit is closed.

Final Evaluation:This method did not work because the Arduino MEGA was not capable of doing this for all 8 steps we made and coding could not be used to make the speaker play a note even if we managed to connect all 8 steps.






2)Connect the 8 steps to a circuit that regulates 5V and have the Arduino MEGA check for any change in voltage in the circuit and then play a note on the speaker when a change was detected.


Final Evaluation:This method was feasible as we could use analog pins for the Arduino MEGA to detect the change in Hertz and then use a pin to a speaker to play a song.



Our Final decision was to use the second idea as we tried and realised that the first one could not be applied to help us reach our goal.





The Making: 

During the start , we had a huge issue of making the stairs so we went to a workshop to make it from scratch



We we came across a very big problem...how to integrate our step idea into the woodwork that already had steps on it....
So what we did was that we used hot glue to stick the sponge to the woodwork itself so the sponge acted like a spring which brought the step right back up.

So next we drilled in the holes for the wires that was connected to the Arduino MEGA to pass through and finally the hole for the power cable to pass through.We also made a hole for speaker.

We were almost done, we only had to build the circuitry and connect everything up and upload the code. Since the code was already being made by Jowell and a little help by Pasan, we started connect up the wires.
We made once side of the step permanently connected while once side had to touch the metal for the circuit to close and for the speaker to play the tune. 







When we finally finished the coding and setting everything up, we couldn't wait for the stairs to play a tune when we pushed a step down..But then we had another problem. The Arduino was not doing what is was suppose to be doing. There was  sound even when the step was not pressed down .Then Jowell and Pasan found out that the minimum value was too low and we also discovered that  It reads around 300-400 due to interference, thus they set the value to much higher.In the end the final value was 1022.


It was finally working....But all the steps sounded the same...Again Pasan and Jowell went back to the code...this time they changed the frequency of which the speaker played the sound and now it was working .

But it was way too soft.So what Pasan did was that he made a hole for the second speaker with the help of his teammate,Zhen Yang, while he was staying back.

But as the voltage was already too low to make the tune loud from one speaker, what Pasan did was that he connect 3 AA batteries into the circuit to boost the current in it, this made both speaker play the tune way better and louder.


And Finally....Our Project was complete, it worked perfectly.But There is something else to do...
It is to make the step be able to activate even when if it is stepped right in the middle of the step.

But It was a success for a prototype :

video



0 comments:

Post a Comment